love Sloppy Joes! They have so much flavor in them. These Cauliflower and Beef Sloppy Joes are my current favorite. Rich ground beef and cauliflower simmered in sweet and tangy tomato sauce then served on a hot toasted burger bun with lots of pickled green chilies.
The beef mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days. If you have a leftover beef mixture, you can serve it over a bed of rice or freshly cooked pasta instead of burger buns.
Cauliflower and Beef Sloppy Joes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 250g ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g grated cauliflower
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pickled green chilies, chopped
- cilantro, optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add ground beef, breaking it into small size crumbles and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until just browned on all sides but not completely cooked.
- Remove the beef from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and cook onion and garlic until tender and slightly browned 4 to 5 minutes. Add smoked paprika, salt, pepper, ground cumin, and coriander; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then add cauliflower and cook for another 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato puree, ketchup, brown sugar, stock, and beef. Bring the mixture to simmer and cook until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring often. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon beef mixture onto lightly toasted buns with lots of chopped cilantro and pickled green chilies.