This egg dish is one of my favourite childhood food. My mom usually made this for me when she was busy or just don’t feel like to cook. This considers as an easy and cheap meal in Indonesian household, however this dish still my favourite.
These crispy fried eggs with kecap manis often serve as a lunch or dinner with steamed white rice. I love to drizzle lots of kecap manis over the egg and rice and turn my rice into a brown in colour. The best way to enjoy them is when you combine all the component together. Gooey egg yolk, crispy egg white, sweet and savoury kecap manis combine with warm rice it is oh so delicious. It tastes even better when you bite into a fiery hot chilli.
Crispy Fried Eggs with Kecap Manis
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons kecap manis
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, crack the eggs carefully into the oil.
- Deep fry for about 30 seconds, then sprinkle with green onion, red chilli and bird’s eye chilli. Deep fry for another 3o second to 1 minute or until the outer edges are firm and crisp but the yolk is still runny.
- Remove the eggs from oil with slotted spoon, serve immediately over a bed of hot rice. Serve with a drizzle of kecap manis and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.