This flatbread recipe is so easy to make, it consists of primarily flour, water and yoghurt. Yoghurt makes the bread moist and it gives a nice tangy flavour.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain full-fat yoghurt or Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. In another bowl mix together yoghurt, olive oil and water.
- Add yoghurt mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork or rubber spatula until a moist dough forms, if the dough dry add more water. Dust a work surface lightly with flour, transfer the dough onto the work surface and knead the dough gently until soft and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Lightly brush a large bowl with oil, transfer the dough to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Take the dough and divide it into 4 or 6 equal sizes, roll each piece into 6 to 9-inch round, dusting with more flour to prevent sticking. If you use nigella seeds or minced garlic sprinkle the dough with it before you roll into a flatbread.
- Heat the griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Lightly brush the skillet with a thin layer of oil. Place the dough in the skillet and brush the top with a thin layer of oil. Cook until puffed and brown spot appear, flip the flatbread over and brush the cooked side with oil. Cook the remaining flatbreads.
- Serve warm or let the bread completely cool if you want to keep it in the fridge.