This grab and go egg salad sandwich inspired by Tamago Sando or Japanese egg salad sandwich. Creamy Japanese mayonnaise with mashed hard-boiled egg and finely sliced shiso leaves sandwiched between soft white bread.
Egg salad sandwich, a very simple but nourishing meal…something that you can prepare without too much effort. It’s not the healthiest food on earth, but it’s definitely the perfect food for one.
Just pre-boiled your eggs and keep it in a fridge. During the day when you work alone at home just grab the egg, mash it with a fork, add a dollop of homemade mayonnaise, season with salt and pepper and mix it gently. Spread the egg salad over a slice of soft white bread, top it with some shiso leaves and another slice of bread.
Shiso, also known as perilla or beefsteak is a member of the mint family. It has a unique grassy flavour and looks like nettles. There are several varieties of Shiso: Akajiso (murasaki-shiso, or purple red perilla), Aojiso (green perilla), and Hojiso (ear shiso). Aojiso also called oba often used as a garnish for sashimi, tempura ingredients or as a condiment for somen noodles.
Egg Salad Sandwich with Green Perilla
- 4 slices of white bread
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
- 3 shiso leaves or green perilla
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the crust of four slices of bread, set aside.
- Peel the hard-boiled egg and cut in halves or quarters. Place the egg in a bowl and mash it with a fork, add about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and finely sliced shiso leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the egg mixture on top of bread and top it with other slice and cut in half or quarter with a sharp knife. Wrap the sandwiches with another shiso leaves if you like.