Karak tea or Karak chai is a strong Qatari black tea infused with spices and evaporated milk. There is no exact recipe for Karak tea, every household and tea house has its own spices blend. Some adding cloves and black peppercorns to their tea, some add ginger and cinnamon but the pure Qatari version made of strong black tea, cinnamon, evaporated milk and sugar.
- 1 cup of water
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black loose leaf tea
- 125 ml evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Using back of a large spoon lightly bruise ginger and cardamom pods.
- In a small saucepan pour water and add cardamom, ginger and cinnamon stick, bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Add loose leaves tea, stir and steep for 5 minutes.
- Pour milk and bring the tea mixture until just simmer over medium-high heat.
- Strain the tea into a teapot and serve hot with sugar.