I’m in love with this lemon & chilli flying roe pasta since the first time I made it. Fish roe adds salty & subtle fishy flavor and I love when the spheres of fish roe popped in my mouth. This time I use dried fish roe from South Sulawesi. Unlike tobiko, this dried version has a pale orange (almost yellow) color and it becomes white when it’s cooked.
Lemon & Chilli Flying Fish Roe Pasta
- 250g angel hair pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 crab sticks, thinly sliced
- 100g flying fish roe
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- juice of a half lemon
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to package instructions until al dente.
- When pasta is halfway through its cooking time, heat olive oil in a pan. Saute garlic and shallot for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chili, crab sticks and flying fish roe, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce. Stir in green onion and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Serve the pasta and drizzle with more lemon juice and olive oil if needed.