No fuss weeknight dinner. Lemony fettuccine with hibiscus spinach (Abelmoschus manihot), garlic, red chilli flakes and walnuts. This meal is so easy and comes together in about 15 minutes. Lemon zest and fresh lemon juice add a fresh touch to slightly bitter greens.
Pasta is my first choice every time carbs craving hits me. You can’t go wrong with pasta, I mean it’s hard to ruin pasta dishes. It’s easy to cook and it taste great even with a simple sauce. Just tossed it with salt, pepper and cheese and it still taste good.
This lemony fettuccine recipe pretty much like spaghetti aglio e olio, but I dress it up with lemon and hibiscus spinach. If you can’t find hibiscus spinach just replaces it with regular spinach, kale or your favourite greens.
Lemony Fettuccine with Hibiscus Spinach
- 250g fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 3 cups roughly chopped hibiscus spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook fettuccine according to package instructions. Reserve 2 cups pasta water and drain the fettuccine.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add sliced garlic and cook slowly over low heat to infuse the oil with garlic flavour.
- Once the garlic starts to browning lightly, add hibiscus spinach and add 1 cup pasta water. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the spinach cooked.
- Stir in fettuccine, chilli flakes, lime zest and lime juice and more pasta water if necessary. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Transfer pasta to serving plate and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.