Rice is a staple food in Indonesia- and also in most Asian country. In Asia rice have become as important as bread. Although our lifestyle has change and some people cut out the rice from their menu, but the old age “we have not eaten unless we have had rice” is true.Rice playing an important role in our diets, we eat it for lunch, dinner or sometimes for breakfast. It main source of carbohydrate and adding necessary fiber and starch to our diets.
In my family rice is playing important in dining table. Even though we rarely have rice for breakfast but it is a necessity for lunch and dinner. Rice is one of my comfort food, something that I will craving from time to time.
Middle Eastern Rice with Beans and Tomato
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 7 green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat small skillet over medium-high heat and dry roast the whole spices for about 3-5 minutes, until they become fragrant. Tossing regularly to prevent scorching, transfer toasted spices to the bowl and let it cool. Grinding them together with ground spices, set aside.
- Wash the rice few times, then soak it in water for 15 minutes and strain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for about 3 minutes, until they start to colour. Stir in the spices mixture, then add the drained rice, stirring until the rice coated with spices, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and season with salt. Add drained beans and 3 cups water and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with lid. Cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let it stand covered for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with fork, stir in extra olive oil to gloss the rice. Transfer rice to serving plate and serving plate and serve immediately.