Serve these mushrooms and rice burgers on a burger bun with a fried egg and Japanese slaw for a balanced hearty meal. To keep the patties intact left them to rest in a fridge for at least 1 hour before you cook them. You can also freeze them for a super quick and easy meal.
I used a mixture of brown, black, white, and red rice because I had some in my pantry. Any rice would work, but black and brown rice add wonderful flavor and texture
If you make this Mushroom and Rice Burger, be sure to leave a comment and tag me on Instagram! Love to hear from you. Follow my Pinterest and Instagram to get more recipes and cooking ideas!
Related article: Dukkah Chickpea Burger with Sauteed Radicchio
Mushroom and Rice Burger
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 g baby brown mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g dried shiitake, soaked in hot water, drain and minced
- 360g cooked mixed rice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Japanese-style mayo
- 1 tbsp white miso paste or tamari
- 100 g panko
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- To the pan, add sliced mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms, and cook until all the moisture has evaporated about 5 minutes. Stir in minced garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Put cooked rice in a large mixing bowl. Add mushrooms mixture, egg, mayonnaise, miso paste, panko, salt, and pepper. Mix all the ingredients.
- Scoop up rice mixture and form into patties. Put the rice patties in a fridge for at least 15 minutes to set.
- Heat a little bit oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and pan-fry until nicely golden on both sides.
- Serve on a bun with Japanese slaw and fried eggs.