Cakalang fufu is a cured and smoked skipjack tuna from North Sulawesi.Cakalang fufu had unique strong smoky flavour and it perfect to give an extra flavour for pasta or rice dishes. In Sulawesi, this smoked fish usually cooked as spicy rica-rica, cooked in rich coconut sauce or sprinkled as a condiment for noodles and yellow rice.
The goal with this pasta with endive and cakalang fufu was to create new modern dishes with local ingredients. I wanted a modern food but still suitable for local tastebud and also acceptable for people outside Indonesia.
Pasta with Endive and Cakalang Fufu
Quick, easy and surprisingly delicious pasta with wilted endive and smoked skipjack tuna. If you don’t have smoked skipjack, you can substitute with other smoked fish to get a similar flavour. You can substitute endives with spinach or arugula.
- 300 gr dried spaghetti or fettuccine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 gr cakalang fufu or smoked tuna, shredded into flakes
- 150 gr endive, roughly chopped
- 2 torch ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, minced
- salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta of following instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, chilli and torch ginger and cook until fragrant. Then add cakalang fufu flakes, half of pasta water and season with salt.
- Add pasta, torch ginger and chopped endives to the skillet and toss all the ingredients together with a tong. Add some of the reserved pasta water to loosen the pasta. Toss in the pasta and cook just until endives begin to wilt.
- Divided pasta into serving plate and drizzle with more olive oil if needed.