The combination of potato and peanut sauce is no stranger for me. Even so the Dutch war fries (patatje oorlog) still unfamiliar to me. The combination of fries, peanut sauce, mayonnaise and raw onion piqued my interest. But I have no plans for a trip to Netherland in the near future. Maybe I should make it at home, or make my own version of it.
These peanut sauce French fries are easy to make and so good for parties, movie night or any gathering. Use store-bought French fries then top with home-made peanut sauce, chopped onion and chopped birds eye chilli for extra heat.
Potato Salad - roasted potato salad with brown butter vinaigrette Kale & Potato Patties - Potato and kale patties with vegetable gravy Aloo Paratha - Indian flatbread with mashed potato filling
Peanut Sauce French Fries with Soft-Boiled Egg
- 500g crinkle or straight cut fries
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- bird eye chillies, chopped
- lime or lemon to serve
- 200g roasted peanuts
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 3 red chillies, deseeded
- 50g coconut or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 500 ml water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- sea salt to taste
- Peanut sauce: Heat oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and chillies and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, let it cool. Transfer garlic, chilli, roasted peanuts and palm sugar to a food processor; pulse until ground.
- Transfer paste to a saucepan and add water, cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in tamarind concentrate, water, coconut sugar and season with salt. Let it simmer for a few minutes, add more water if you want a thinner sauce. Set aside.
- Soft-boiled eggs: Fill a saucepan with few inches water and bring it to boil. Gently add the water to the pan, one at a time. Lower the heat, cook the eggs for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pan with slotted spoon and run under tap water to cool it slightly. Set aside.
- Bake or fry the fries as the package instructions. Remove fries from the oven, drizzle with peanut sauce, and sprinkle with chopped onion and chilli, then top with soft boiled egg.