Tender, sweet and tangy pomegranate chicken meatballs with flatbreads and radish. Ground chicken combines with fresh oregano, mayonnaise and lemon zest make these chicken meatballs moist, flavourful and fragrant. Sweet and tart pomegranate molasses give a sticky and depth of flavour to the meatballs, think about your favourite Chinese sweet and sour chicken but with a twist.
The mayonnaise in this recipe is a replacement of egg and breadcrumbs. Mayo is a stable emulsion and works as a binder for meatballs. Use good quality or homemade mayonnaise surely adds a lot of flavours and make the meatballs extra moist.
Sweet, rich and tart pomegranate molasses add a sticky touch of Middle Eastern flavour. If you can’t find pomegranate molasses, you can replace it with pomegranate juice. Use unsweetened juice then mix it with sugar and lemon juice.
Pomegranate Chicken Meatballs with Flatbreads
pomegranate chicken meatballs
- 500g ground chicken, dark meat recommended
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 small shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 medium flatbreads
- 5 red radish, thinly sliced
- fresh oregano
- pomegranate arils
- In a large bowl combine chicken, oregano, orange zest, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Mix together until well combined. Shape chicken mixture into small meatballs, about tablespoonfuls each.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the meatballs for 12-13 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine orange juice and pomegranate molasses. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, stirring occasionally.
- Add butter to the sauce, once the butter has melted add the chicken meatballs. Stir well until all the meatballs coated with sauce.
- Top the flatbreads with yoghurt, meatballs, sliced red radish, oregano and pomegranate arils.