This potato, mushroom and tomato tart is bursting with flavour. A free-form tart is easier to throw together than a pie and it’s a great way to dress up a potato, mushroom and tomato. No fuss and you don’t have to make a perfect look tart.
Start building your tart with flakey and buttery crust, then top that with thinly sliced potatoes, thyme, flavourful mushroom, salty hard cheese, tomato, sea salt and as much freshly cracked black pepper.
Potato, Mushroom and Tomato Tart
for the pastry
- 210 g all-purpose flour
- 100 g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 50 ml cold water
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg yolk for egg wash
for the filling
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 150 g sliced mushroom
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 50 g hard cheese, grated
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
make the pastry crust
- Place the flour and sea salt into a food processor and pulse few times until combined. Add butter cubes and pulse few times until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Slowly add cold water to the food processor, 1-2 teaspoons at a time, pulsing several times after each addition, until the mixture comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface, press the crumbly dough together with hands and form into a disc. Sprinkle the disc with a little flour on all sides, wrap the disc in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
for the filling and assembly
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mushroom for about 5 minutes until tender and slightly crispy.
- Add shallots and cook for about 3 minutes until shallot softened, stirring occasionally; season with salt and black pepper. Turn off the heat and transfer to a plate.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll out dough on a floured surface to an 8″ round, transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Arrange a thin layer potato slices in the centre of the crust, overlapping slightly. Brush with clarified butter, sprinkle over 2 tablespoons cheese. Season with thyme, salt and black pepper. Top with a thin layer of tomato slices, then scatter half of the mushroom over potatoes, sprinkle with more cheese.
- Fold edges of dough over filling, tucking and overlapping slightly. Brush the dough with an egg-wash mixture. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake tarts until crust are golden brown and potatoes are soft, 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest 5-10 minutes before serving.