Growing up as Indonesian, sambal is a staple in my kitchen. Sambal udang rebon is one of my favourites. You only need 6 ingredients (Including salt and sugar) and less than 15 minutes to make this spicy condiment.
Sambal Udang Rebon
- udang rebon (krill)
- 3 bird’s eye chillies
- 1 large tomato
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- a pinch of sea salt and sugar to taste
- Soaked krill with warm water for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Add halved tomato and grilled until lightly charred on both sides, add chillies and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Remove tomato and chillies from the heat and cut the tomato into small pieces.
- Pound chillies, tomato, salt and sugar in a mortar and pestle until it forms a coarse paste. Add krill and lime juice, mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve sambal udang rebon with a plate of steamed rice.