Easy spicy chicken gimbap or Korean seaweed rice roll filled with shichimi togarashi rice, grilled chicken, egg strips and vegetables.
Spicy Chicken Gimbap
- 4 cups cooked short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoons shichimi togarashi
- 5 sheets seaweed paper, roasted slightly
- 500g chicken breast
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- vegetable oil
- Chicken: Place chicken breast, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Mix well to coat the chicken and marinate it for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan or skillet. Grill chicken over medium-high heat until cooked and golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- Seasoned rice: Place cooked rice in a large shallow bowl. Gently mix in shichimi togarashi and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Let it cool down to room temperature then cover and set aside.
- Carrots: Place carrots in a small bowl, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Mix well and let it sweat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and saute in a pan with few drops oil until cooked, about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Omelet: Crack the eggs in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Beaten the eggs with a fork and pour it into a heated non-stick skillet. Spread the egg mixture so it fills the pan and cooks until the bottom is firm. Flip the omelet over with a spatula, turn off the heat and let it cook slowly in the hot pan for about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer omelet to cutting board and cut it into long strips.
- Rolling the gimbap: Gather all the kimbap ingredients in the table. Place one dried seaweed sheet on a bamboo mat with the shiny side down. Put about 3/4 cup seasoned rice on the seaweed sheet and spread it evenly, leaving about 5 cm uncovered at the top of seaweed.
- Place some chicken strips, carrot, cucumber and a few egg strips in the center of the rice. Roll the mat and seaweed over the fillings until one side of the rice reaches the opposite side. Press it tightly with both hands and continue rolling the gimbap. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer spicy chicken gimbap to cutting board and cut each roll into bite-size pieces. Serve.