There are so many dumpling varieties from sweet to savoury, fried, boiled or pan-fried. It also comes in different shapes and fillings. Dumpling fillings also very versatile from juicy pork and chives, minced chicken, spicy beef, mixed seafood or even vegetable filling for vegan or vegetarian.
Momo is a steamed dumpling native to Bhutan, Tibet, Nepal and some India continent like Assam and Darjeeling. Filled with a mixture of tofu, carrot and cabbage this tofu and vegetable momo is a healthier version of traditional momo.
Tofu and Vegetable Momo
- 1 cup maida or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water, room temperature
- a pinch of salt
Tofu and vegetable momo filling
- 1 small block of tofu
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Momo dough: Sift all-purpose flour into a large bowl, mix in a pinch of salt and oil. Add water into the flour little by little, stirring with a rubber spatula until the dough forms a ball. Transfer the dough into a work surface and knead until the dough smooth and elastic.
- Tofu and vegetable filling: Put mashed tofu in a bowl, add vegetables, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, garam masala, chilli powder and chopped cilantro. Season with salt and black pepper, mix well to combine.
- Shape the momos: Knead the dough for 1 minutes, divide it into 2 equal portions. Roll each dough into a cylindrical shape, cut each cylinder into 7 equal portions, shape each portion into a small ball. Dusting the working table lightly with a flour, flatten the balls and roll it into a thin disc.
- Place approximately 1 tablespoon of vegetable filling in a centre. Wet the edges of the skin with a little bit water, folding and shaping the momos as you desire. Covered the momos with a napkin until ready to steam.
- Fill the steamer pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Set the steamer pan and steam the momos until cooked, 9-12 minutes, close the lid.
- Serve momo warm with tomato chutney or chilli sauce.