Bakwan sayur or vegetable fritters is an absolutely perfect snack. Crispy, spicy, and so addictive. The best way to enjoy this vegetable fritter is when still warm from the frying pan with a zesty jalapeno yogurt sauce.
There many variations of bakwan or fritters in Indonesia. The most popular are bakwan sayur (vegetable fritter) and bakwan jagung (corn fritter). This time I add charred corn kernels to my vegetable fritters.
If you make this Bakwan Sayur (Charred Corn & Vegetable Fritters), be sure to leave a comment and tag me on Instagram! Love to hear from you. Follow my Pinterest and Instagram to get more recipes and cooking ideas!
Related article: Tempe Mendoan (Fried Battered Tempeh)
Bakwan Sayur (Charred Corn & Vegetable Fritter)
- 1 sweet corn
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 200g cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 jalapeno
- fresh cilantro, optional
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- sea salt
- Heat gas grill to high. Husk and rub corn with about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Grill, turning frequently, until corn is nicely charred, 5 to 7 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from the cob, set aside.
- Place the shredded carrot, onion, cabbage, jalapeno, and green onion in a large bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt, mix well. Set the vegetable mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the jalapeno yogurt sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor, and whiz until smooth.
- Fill a large saucepan with vegetable oil and heat the oil.
- When the oil is hot, frying the fritter in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve immediately with jalapeno yogurt sauce.