This beef rice vermicelli soup perfect for a rainy day. Its rich yet clean tasting beef broth will make you fall in love. It’s packed with flavor but light enough for a warm sunny day.
The broth is incredibly delicious and so comforting. Although the broth has a long list of ingredients but it so easy to make, all you need to do is waiting patiently while the broth simmering.
Related article: Spicy Mushroom Noodle Soup
Beef Rice Vermicelli Soup
- 2 kg of beef bone
- 750g beef shank
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 large piece of ginger
- 5 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorn
- 2 cilantro roots
- 1 dried orange peel
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 500g beef shank
- cooked rice vermicelli
- a cup of fresh cilantro and green onion
- chili oil
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the beef bone, onion, ginger, and garlic on a lightly greased baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the bone is brown.
- Cut the onion into quarters through the roots. Cut the garlic and ginger into half cross-section. Put the onion, garlic, and ginger in a baking tray, coat them with oil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until nicely charred.
- Place the cloves, star anise, cinnamon, and coriander in a medium pan, toast over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the spices to burn.
- Add all the bones, charred onion, garlic, ginger, spices, cilantro roots, orange peel, soy sauce, and brown sugar to the large stockpot. Cover the pot with cold water, and let it simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan, seared the beef shank until brown on the outside. Add the beef shank to the pot, simmer for another 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat, remove the beef and bone from the stockpot. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Place the broth back to the stockpot, adjust seasoning if needed.
- When ready to serve, cut the beef into bite-size pieces. Divide the rice vermicelli in serving bowls, top with beef slices, cilantro, beef broth, and chili oil.