The crispy oyster mushroom was my favourite snack when I was in college. That time crispy oyster mushroom is a cheap street food in Bandung, West Java. A bite-size crispy mushroom dredge with chilli powder sold in a paper bag. You can easily find it sell in a cart around Pasar Baru or another touristic area and enjoy it as a snack to go. Inspired by the street food mushroom, I made my crispy mushroom in a bigger shape and serve it with creamy salted egg yolk sauce.
Crispy Oyster Mushroom with Salted Egg Yolk Sauce
Crispy oyster mushroom
- 500 gr oyster mushroom
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 curry leaves
Salted egg yolk sauce
- 2 salted egg yolk
- 40 gr unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 5-7 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- salt and sugar to taste
- Remove the tough ends of oyster mushroom, clean up with a paper towel and squeeze out the water. Set aside.
- Salted egg sauce: Steam the egg yolks or heat up in a microwave for 3 minutes, mash the yolks with a fork. Place a pot over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, add curry leaves and fry for 1 minute. Add butter and cook on medium heat until the butter just melts. When the butter has melted, turn the heat to low and add mashed egg yolks, stir thoroughly. Add coconut milk, salt and chilli powder. Cook in a low heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Crispy oyster mushroom: Whisk the flour, rice flour and paprika powder together, season with salt and pepper. Cracked egg in another bowl, add 3 tablespoons water and whisk in about 2 tablespoons flour mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Drop the oyster mushrooms in a batter and mix until all the mushroom coated with a thin layer of batter. Take the oyster mushroom and dredge the oyster mushrooms lightly, shaking off excess flour.
- Add curry leaves and mushrooms to the hot oil, deep fry mushrooms until golden brown and crisp. Drain the mushrooms on a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Serve mushrooms immediately with creamy salted egg yolk sauce.