“I’m not telling you to make the world better, because I don’t think that progress is necessarily part of the package. I’m just telling you to live in it. Not just to endure it, not just to suffer it, not just to pass through it, but to live in it. To look at it. To try to get the picture. To live recklessly. To take chances. To make your own work and take pride in it. To seize the moment.”~ Joan Didion
Curried Chicken Wings with Spicy Curry Sauce
You can use whole chicken wings. But smaller wings makes the marinating and cooking time shorter and it also more fun to eat. During the cooking process, the oil temperature will drop from 180 C to 160 C. To get the better result bring the temperature back to 180 C between each batch.
- 1 kg chicken wings, wing tips removed and cut into two pieces at the joint
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- lemon juice
- Dry roast the whole spices for curry powder over a gentle heat until they begin to change colour and fragrant. Let it cool and grind to a fine powder. Stir in ginger and turmeric powder.
- Put chicken wings in a large bowl, add two tablespoons curry powder, season with salt and toss to coat. Add coconut milk, flour and cornstarch, stir to combine. Cover the bowl and let the chicken wings marinated for at least 30 minutes, or for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, make the curry sauce. In a medium saucepan combine together coconut milk, curry powder, grated garlic, cayenne pepper and honey. Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes until curry sauce thickened.
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature. Fill a large frying pan hall-full with vegetable oil, insert kitchen thermometer and heat until it reaches 180 C.
- Fry chicken wings in small batches for about 6 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel and keep it warm.
- Toss fried wings with curry sauce or serve it with curry sauce on the side. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with lemon juice.