This simple one-skillet breakfast made with eggs simmered in a sauce of tomatoes, green chili, green onion, garlic, and lemongrass. If you don’t like runny egg yolk just scrambled the eggs and serve it like Turkish menemen.
Related article: Stir-fry Garlic Chive Flowers with Tofu and Eggs
Egg in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lemongrass, white part only
- salt, sugar & pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Then soften the green onion, garlic, and green chili for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lemongrass, and sugar. Then simmer over medium heat for 7-8 minutes until thick. Season with salt, pepper & fish sauce, then stir to combine.
- Using the back of a large spoon, make 4 holes in the sauce, then crack an egg into each one. Put a lid on the pan, then cook over low heat for 6 to 9 minutes, until eggs are done to your liking. Scatter with chopped green chili, fresh mint leaves & chopped green onion.