This fried okra and tomato salad inspired by Thai flavor. Crispy fried okra and tomato make a perfect combination for a fresh salad.
Fried Okra and Tomato Salad
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber,
- a handful of Thai basil
- 150g fresh okra, stems trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 free-range egg
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumb
- vegetable oil to fried
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine minced garlic, green chili, lime juice, coconut oil and Thai fish sauce in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake vigorously until emulsified. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place eggs in a shallow dish and place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish. Season eggs with salt and pepper, mix well. Dip okra in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil to a large frying pan, heat to 350 F. Fry okra in batches until brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove okra, using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Place fried okra, tomato and cucumber in a salad bowl, drizzle with salad dressing and toss to combine. Put in a serving bowl and sprinkle with Thai basil leaves.