Super simple and tasty golden couscous with crispy onion, perfect tasty mid-week meal. The couscous is lightly spiced with turmeric and cinnamon powder, then mix through with tomato, chillies and cilantro; Light and fresh, almost like a salad. Serve it for dinner with fish or grilled lamb, or with grilled aubergine for vegetarian dishes.
Golden Couscous with Crispy Onion and Fried Egg
- 250 gr couscous
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced on mandoline
- 3-5 tbsp cornstarch
- cold water, as needed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 chillies
- sugar & salt
- white wine vinegar
- Put the couscous in a large bowl, add turmeric powder, season and stir well. Pour over boiling water, give a quick stir, then cover with cling film and leave for 5 minutes.
- Chop chillies and put it in a bowl, add about 2 teaspoon vinegar, season it with salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the onions and cold water to cover, and let the onions soak for 10 minutes. Remove the onions from the water, drain and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Heat enough oil in a pan. Dredge the onions lightly in the cornstarch, shake off the excess cornstarch. Fry the remaining onions in batches for 1-2 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Put the couscous on a serving plate or bowl and scatter with crispy onions, pickled chillies, tomatoes and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately with a fried egg.