This grilled tilapia is perfumed with lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, then wrapped in banana leaves and grilled until perfectly cooked. It is simple to prepare and joy to eat. You’ll love the tenderness of the fish marinated with flavorful lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves paste.
This grilled tilapia fish can be cook outdoors on the barbecue, or you can cook it indoors in a grilled pan. Serve this flavourful grilled fish with sweet-sour pico de gallo.
Grilled Tilapia in Banana Leaves
- 2 whole (500g each) red tilapia
- 2 calamansi or lime
- large fish of banana leaves to wrap the fish
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapenos or green chili, chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon shaved palm sugar
- 2-inch ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 calamansi or 2 tbsp lime juice
golden berry pico de gallo
- 1 small red onion
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 7 golden berries
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime
- salt and sugar to taste
- For spices paste, blend ingredients (except calamansi juice) in a food processor until smooth. Then add salt and calamansi juice, mix well.
- Rinse and pat dry the fish. Slash both sides of each fish three or four times. Rub the inside and outside of the fish with spices paste, keep it in the fridge for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put chopped tomato cherry, red onion, golden berry, and cilantro in a bowl. Add lime juice and season with salt and sugar, mix well.
- Wrap each fish in banana leaves and grill in the barbecue until cooked through, 7-10 minutes on each side. Serve the fish immediately with golden berry pico de gallo, and lime wedges.