Lemon Turkish delight to sweeten my day. Making this Turkish candy is pretty simple, but you need to be patient. Rosewater is the traditional flavoring, but you can add whichever flavoring you like.
Making Turkish delight at home is not that hard, you just need to be patient. First, you need to cook the sugar syrup until it reaches the soft ball stage or 115 C. While waiting the sugar syrup reaches its consistency, you can preparing and cooking the cornstarch mixture.
Homemade Lemon Turkish Delight
- 345 g granulated sugar
- 560 ml water, divided
- 75 g cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 50 g lemon juice
- Place the sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, and 175 ml water in a pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolve and bring the mixture to a boil. Let the sugar mixture to boil for about 10-15 minutes until it reaches 115 C on a sugar thermometer.
- Meanwhile, place cornstarch, remaining of water, cream of tartar and lemon zest in another saucepan. Whisk until the cornstarch dissolve and no lumps. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the mixture consistency is almost like a glue, stirring vigorously.
- Add sugar syrup and lemon juice to cornflour mixture, mix well. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until golden and thickened.
- Remove the mixture from heat, pour into a greased baking sheet. Leave it to set at room temperature, 6 to 8 hours.
- Dust the cutting board with a mixture of cornstarch and confectioner sugar. Cut into cubes and dredges the pieces in a cornstarch mixture. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.