It takes time and effort to make this kale and beef borek, but you won’t regret it because this was delicious and satisfying. Su böreği is a traditional Turkish water pastry, it quite similar to lasagna but it has more pastry layer than filling. Traditionally Su böreği filled with white cheese and parsley, but this time I use kale and spiced minced beef as a filling.
Related article: Spinach and Feta Cheese Gozleme
Kale and Beef Borek
- 5 free-range eggs
- 500g strong flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 100g minced beef
- 5 kale, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat medium pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, browned the beef for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in kale stems, cover, and steams for 4-6 minutes or until softened. Stir in kale leaves, cumin, red pepper flakes, and ground beef. Season to taste.
- Transfer kale mixture to a bowl, and let it cool. Once cooled, scatter over the cheese, and adjust seasoning.
- For the dough, whisk the eggs in a deep mixing bowl. Sift the flour. and salt into the bowl, mix well. Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes, or until the dough smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 9 balls, dust the dough with flour, and let it rest for 30 minutes, cover with a damp towel.
- Flour a board, and roll each ball into a 30 cm wide round. Dust the dough sheet with flour to prevent it to stick.
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add 1 tbsp oil, and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to boil, add 1 sheet of dough at a time, and boil for 30 seconds. Lift out and pat dry on a clean cloth. Boil 10 dough and keep 1 dough uncooked.
- Place uncooked dough in the large oiled non-stick frying pan and brush with butter. Place boiled dough loosely on top, and brush with butter. Continue to stack to make 4 layers. Spread the kale mixture on the 4th layer, then place another dough on, and put another filling. Then continue to stack another three buttered layers. Pour the remaining butter on top.
- Preheat the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.