Mirza ghassemi is an Iranian or Persian dish of soft roasted aubergine mixed with tomato, garlic, onion and turmeric. This smoky aubergine dip is fantastic for sharing and served with flatbreads or vegetables.
- 2 large aubergines
- 3 tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 eggs
- freshly grated black pepper
- sea salt
- Preheat the charcoal grill to medium-high heat and place the aubergines, tomatoes and 3 cloves garlic directly over the heat source. Cook until vegetables and garlic well charred. It took 20-30 minutes for aubergines, 10-12 minutes for tomatoes and 5 minutes for garlic. Rotate them occasionally to make sure they charred on all sides.
- Remove aubergines, tomatoes and garlic cloves from heat, then leave aside to cool. Peel and roughly chopped the tomatoes. Halve the aubergines and scoop out the flesh using large spoon, set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and slowly cook the onion and minced garlic until slightly brown, stir in turmeric.
- Add the aubergines, roasted garlic and tomatoes and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Lastly, add tomato puree and cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring ocassionaly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a holes in the aubergine mixture and add the eggs, mix well until eggs are cooked. Serve warm with flatbread or rice.