This wafu (Japanese style) pasta comes together in minutes and only requires basic pantry ingredients.
Related article: Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta
Miso Butter Pasta with Shimeji Mushroom
- 250 g spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 100 g Shimeji mushrooms, trim
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp light sesame oil
- chopped chives, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until al-dente, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and drain the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, and stir for about 30 seconds. When the garlic and oil sizzling, add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or so.
- Add the butter, miso, soy sauce, freshly ground black pepper, and reserved pasta water to the pan, cook over medium heat until butter and miso melt completely. Add pasta, stirring vigorously until the sauce emulsifies.
- Season pasta with freshly ground black pepper and sesame oil before serving. Taste and add salt if needed. Divide among shallow bowls and sprinkle with chopped chives.