This one-pot spicy tomato pasta is the perfect friendly family meal. I love them enough that I’ll choose to spend my Friday night staying at home with a bowl of pasta rather than hang out with my friends. Serve this pasta with a generous amount of parmesan cheese and a side of grilled chicken or leafy green salad.
This pasta is super simple and ready in just about 30 minutes. The key to making a simple yet delicious tomato sauce is to cook up the onion and brown it all over. This is essential, caramelized onion adds a deep layer of flavor.
I like to use three colors fusilli to make this one-pot spicy tomato pasta. The three-color fusilli make this simple dinner looks pretty and it holds the sauce pretty well. You can certainly use any other type of pasta in place of fusilli, but I do recommend fusilli or penne.
Related article: Spicy Orange Pasta with Grilled Shrimp
One-Pot Spicy Tomato Pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomato, halved
- 150 gr fusilli
- 2 cups water or stock
- a pinch of oregano
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes until onion fragrant. Add garlic, cherry tomatoes, fusilli, water, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cook over high heat until pasta boiling, stir well to combine. Partially close the pot with a lid, cook over medium-low heat for 7 to 10 minutes until pasta al-dente. Stir the pasta every few minutes to prevent the pasta from burnt and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve the pasta immediately with grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.