Pastel tutup is a hearty casserole dish made with a mixture of chicken and vegetables then topped with a mashed potato before baked.
This popular Indonesian dish is pretty similar to shepherd pie, it usually made with ground chicken or beef, vegetables, and cellophane noodles, then topped with mashed potatoes.
If you make this Pastel Tutup (Chicken Potato Casserole), be sure to leave a comment and tag me on Instagram! Love to hear from you. Follow my Pinterest and Instagram to get more recipes and cooking ideas!
Related article: Sweet Potato and Charred Scallion Bolani
Pastel Tutup (Chicken Potato Casserole)
- 500g boiled potato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 100g chicken, cut into small cubes
- 150g carrot, peeled and diced
- 30g corn kernels
- 50g vermicelli, soaked in water until soft
- Cut the potatoes into chunks. Boil potato in salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain and return to the pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes and butter until smooth. Stir in chopped chives, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Stir fry shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add minced chicken stir fry for 1-2 minutes until change color then adds carrot, and corn kernels, stir to combine.
- Pour in milk and chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked, stirring gradually. Add vermicelli and grated nutmeg, stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Put the filling into an ovenproof dish or ramekins, top with the mashed potato and grated cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the potato starts to color.
- Garnish with more chopped chives before serving.