This pisang goreng or deep-fried banana fritters are light and delicious with a crisp coating surround of sweet banana. Serve warm as they are or drizzle with some honey or with ice cream.
Related article: Apam Nasi (Steamed Rice Cakes)
Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritters)
- 7-10 bananas
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 20g rice flour or tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 300cc coconut milk or water
- 60g grated old coconut
- 25g sesame seeds
- For the batter, put the flour, rice flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Mix well.
- Gradually add the water and whisking until you have a smooth, thick batter. Stir in grated coconut and sesame seeds.
- Peel the bananas and cut in half lengthwise.
- Dip the banana pieces into the batter until evenly coated and then gently lower into the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Remove the fritters and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining fritters, cook a few pieces at a time. Serve the fritters warm with honey or icing sugar.