It’s been a while that I really really want to cook with rhubarb. But, I don’t know where to find rhubarb in Jakarta. I never see it in a traditional market or even big supermarket which is selling a lot of imported fruits & veggies. I almost give up and though I will never cook with rhubarb until last month…in early February I found there’s a farm in Bandung growing and selling rhubarb.
This rhubarb compote is a simple recipe. Basically, you just combine all the ingredients together and let it simmer until the mixture is thickened almost like a jam. You could eat this rhubarb as dessert, serve it with Panna Cotta, ice cream or serve it with classic cream custard. But, I would like to eat it as a breakfast with yoghurt and granola.
Rhubarb Strawberry Rose Compote with Yoghurt
Rhubarb Strawberry Rose Compote
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberry
- 1/4 cup caster sugar, plus extra to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 500 ml coconut or Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup granola
- chopped pistachio, optional
- Rhubarb strawberry rose compote: place the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, rose water and 1 tablespoon water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and slowly cook over medium-low heat for about 10 t0 12 minutes or until the rhubarb has softened.
- Remove compote from the heat and let it cool completely. At this point, you can keep the compote in a clean jar and put it in the fridge for later use.
- To serve: add a generous scoop of yoghurt to the cup or mug, top it with rhubarb compote and sprinkle with granola and chopped pistachio.