Fresh and light roasted tomato soup made just with a handful of wholesome ingredients. This soup combines sweet-spicy shrimp, crisp sweet corn, and silky-rich tomato.
This tomato soup can be served as an appetizer or as a main course because it simple to make, pack a healthy punch, and looks spectacular. Each component can be prepared in advance and assembled whenever you want to serve it.
Related article: Egg in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 750g tomato
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 700ml shrimp stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 corn
- 2 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- Core and halve the tomatoes. Peel and slices the onion into 3cm wedges. Spread the tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves onto a baking tray. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Remove the garlic from their skin. Put the roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Pour in the stock and bring the mixture to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Marinate the shrimps with coriander powder, chili flakes, salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Turn on the grill pan. Grill the husked ear of corn until all the sides have a black char, and grill the shrimps for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- When ready to serve reheat the soup. Then ladle the soup into a serving bowl, top with shrimps, diced avocado, jalapeno, corn, and chopped cilantro.