Sate lilit is a traditional food from Bali. This sate made from the mixture of minced meat, grated coconut and flavourful spices paste, and then this mixture of minced meat then moulding into a sugar cane or lemongrass. Usually, sate lilit serves with spicy sambal matah or as a condiment for nasi campur Bali.
Sate Lilit with Sambal Matah
- 500 gram tuna fillet, minced
- 300 gram shrimp, peel and minced
- 150 gram grated coconut
- 1 tbsp tamarind water
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 200 ml thick coconut milk
- 10 stalks lemongrass or wooden stick
- 9 asian shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 2 tsp toasted coriander
- 3 pcs tabia bun or Balinese long pepper
- 2 Stalk lemongrass, white part only
- 2 cm galangal
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp toasted shrimp paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 bird’s eye chillies, sliced
- 7 Asian shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp toasted shrimp paste
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, discard the hard part and thinly slices
- 1 tbsp kaffir lime or regular lime juices
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Sambal matah: Mix sliced bird’s eye chillies, shallots, lemongrass, shrimp paste, lime leaves and sugar in a medium bowl. Heat coconut oil, pour it into sliced ingredients while it still hot. Season with salt and drizzle with kaffir lime juices. Stir well and set aside.
- Sate lilit: Add all the spices ingredients in a food processor and pulse it few times until smooth. Heat one tablespoon oil in a medium skillet, add spices paste and cook spices for about 3 minutes until fragrant. Set aside and let it cool.
- Put minced fish, shrimp, grated coconut and spices paste in a bowl, mix well. Add coconut milk, chopped lime leaves and tamarind water, combine all ingredients and knead it gently.
- Take about 1 tablespoon sate mixture and mould it into a lemongrass or bamboo stick. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Heat a grill pan or barbeque grill. Put sate lilit and cook for about 3 minutes on each side until it cooks and golden brown. Serve sate lilit immediately with spicy sambal matah.