Warm and fragrant pumpkin soup infused with spices perfect for monsoon and winter. Serve this spiced coconut pumpkin soup with a swirl of coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, and savory granola for extra crunch.
Related article: Roasted Pumpkin Manti
Spiced Coconut Pumpkin Soup
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1-liter vegetable stock or water
- 200ml coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pumpkin seeds, for serving
- savory granola, for serving
- coconut milk, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the pumpkin, and garlic on a lightly greased baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.
- Remove the garlic from their skin. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add ginger, coriander, chili flakes, cayenne pepper, roasted pumpkin, and garlic to the saucepan.
- Add stock and blend the soup with a hand-held blender until smooth. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and add coconut milk. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- When ready to serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish with coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, and granola.