This is my vegetarian version of yaki udon or stir-fried udon.
Stir-fried Udon with Mushroom
- 2 x 200g Udon noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 150g Shimeji mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced Chinese cabbage
- chopped green onion for serving
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- a pinch of salt and sugar
- Combine all the stir-fry ingredients, set aside.
- Boil a large pot of water. Add the noodles and gently shake them apart with tongs. Boil for 30 to 60 seconds until the noodles become loose, drain the noodles and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok. Add onion and stir-fry until fragrant and translucent. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Spread the mushrooms out in the wok so it has as much contact with a hot wok as possible. Add cabbage and toss for 1 minute. Add the noodles and stir-fry sauce, cook until well combined.
- Serve warm, sprinkle with chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds.