Urap sayur is often compared to salad, as it features an array of fresh and blanched vegetables with spiced grated coconut for dressing. This version comes served with blanched water spinach, mung bean sprouts, snake beans & fresh cucumber. For the dressing freshly shredded old coconut flesh is seasoned and sauteing with shallots, garlic, red chili paste, tamarind juice, galangal, a pinch of salt & palm sugar.
Related article: Nasi Kuning (Indonesian Turmeric and Coconut Rice)
Urap Sayur (Vegetables with Spiced Grated Coconut)
Spiced grated coconut
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-5 red chilies
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 cups freshly grated old coconut
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water spinach
- 3/4 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup snake beans, cut into short lengths
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- First, bring a pot of water to boil to blanched the vegetables. Reduce the heat and boil the snake beans for 1-2 minutes, water spinach for 1 minute, and mung bean sprouts for 30 seconds. Rinse the vegetables under the cold water and set aside to drain.
- Place shallots, garlic, red chilies, and shrimp paste in a food processor and process until a coarsely paste forms.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add spices paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, palm sugar and season with salt. Add tamarind juice and cook the spices paste for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the grated coconut, cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the grated coconut is slightly dry. Season with salt and let it slightly cool to room temperature.
- Combine the vegetables with spiced grated coconut and serve with crackers and steamed rice.