Color changing vermicelli salad in a jar is such a fun and awesome way to do the meal preps. You can make a big batch and put in the fridge, and then you got lunch or dinner ready when you hungry.
Steep in the vermicelli in butterfly pea flower to get naturally blue color. Mix it with acidic sauce and it will transform color from blue to magenta.
Related article: Rice Vermicelli and Dried Squid Salad
Vermicelli Salad in a Jar
Color changing vermicelli
- 85g rice vermicelli or glass noodles
- 10g dried butterfly pea flowers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 bird’s eye chili, chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup shimeji mushroom
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 3 red radish, sliced thinly
- fresh cilantro
- For the noodles: Soak the vermicelli and butterfly pea flowers in 400ml of water for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once soaked, remove the vermicelli from the water. Bring the blue flower water to a boil; cook the vermicelli in the blue water until done, about 2 minutes. Immediately transfer the vermicelli into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, whisk until combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- Lightly beat eggs, season with salt and pepper. Heat up a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a very small amount of oil to the pan. Pour 2 tbsp of the beaten eggs to the pan, swirl to coat. Let cook over low heat, until set. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Roll up the eggs & slice into thin ribbons.
- In the same pan heat about 1 tbsp of oil, add mushroom & chopped onion. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms cooked, season with salt & pepper.
- In a glass jar fitted with a lid, add about 2-3 tbsp salad dressing. Add rice vermicelli on top, then egg ribbons, mushrooms, sliced cucumber, and red radish. Fill the rest of the jar with fresh cilantro or mint leaves, and a pinch of red chili flakes.
- Put the lid on and store it in the fridge for up to one day. When you want to serve, tip everything out into a bowl & mix well.