Vegetarian Vietnamese fried spring roll filled with mushrooms, rice vermicelli, carrot, and egg mixture.
Related article: Fresh Spring Roll with Smoked Chicken
Vietnamese Fried Spring Roll
- dried rice paper wrapper
- vegetable oil
- 50g rice vermicelli
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 garlic, finely minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp chili sauce
- warm water
- Whisk together all the peanut sauce ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
- Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water for 2 minutes or until just softened. Drain well and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, cut into short lengths.
- Chop the mushrooms finely. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add chopped mushrooms and stir fry until golden. Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant and slightly brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put vermicelli in a large bowl, add sauteed mushrooms, carrot, green onion, eggs, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, pepper, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Quickly dip a rice paper in lukewarm water to moisten the surface of the rice paper.
- Lay the wet rice paper on a work surface. Place 2 heaped tablespoons of the filling onto the bottom of the wrapper. Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, fold in the sides, and roll into the cylinder shape. Repeat the process until all the filling is used.
- Fill the saucepan or wok with vegetable oil and heat over high heat. Once the oil is hot, cook the spring roll until golden and crispy. Fry the spring rolls in small batches and make sure they do not touch each other.
- .Drain on the kitchen paper and serve with the dipping sauce.